- Short term commitments (forecast) of price
- Historical Ontario and interconnections hour-ahead price analysis
- Correlation analysis of forecasted pre-dispatch and operating reserve prices
IESO (Ontario) Pre-dispatch Prices
This data product provides market clearing prices (MCP), energy and operating reserves for Ontario and external control areas for each hour of the forecast period.
The term interconnection (intertie zone) is used to describe interfaces that connect Ontario to neighboring jurisdictions (external control areas). Ontario has interconnections with Manitoba, Minnesota, Québec, Michigan, and New York. Figure-1 provides a geographic depiction of the IESO Zones and transmission interconnection points with these jurisdictions. Figure-2 summarizes the relationship between IESO Zones, major internal transmission interfaces and interconnections in a single diagram.
- The Ontario - Manitoba interconnection consists of two 230kV circuits and one 115kV circuit
- The Ontario - Minnesota interconnection consists of one 115kV circuit
- The Ontario - Michigan interconnection consists of two 230/345kV circuits, one 230/115kV circuit, and one 230kV circuit
- The Ontario - New York Niagara interconnection consists of two 230/345kV circuits and two 230kV circuits
- The Ontario - New York St. Lawrence interconnection consists of two 230kV circuits
- The Ontario - Québec North interconnection consists of two radial 115kV circuits and is thermally limited (D4Z, H4Z)
- The Ontario - Québec South interconnection consists of two 230kV circuits in the East zone, five 230kV circuits in the Ottawa zone, and two 115kV circuits in the Ottawa zone. This includes the 230kV interconnection from Hawthorne to the HVDC converters located at the Outaouais station in Québec. (AT, B5D.B31L, D5A, H9A, P33C, Q4C, X2Y)
Operating reserve (OR) is stand-by power or demand reduction that can be called on with short notice to deal with an unexpected mismatch between generation and load. Through the administration of operating reserve markets, the IESO ensures that additional supplies of energy are available should an unanticipated event take place in the real-time energy market.
In this data product you will get the three types of operating reserve classes that can be offered by dispatchable generators and dispatchable loads are:
- 10-minute synchronized (spinning) reserve
- 10-minute non-synchronized (non-spinning) reserve
- 30-minute reserve (non-synchronized)
IESO (The Independent Electricity System Operator) works at the heart of Ontario's power system. The IESO delivers key services across the electricity sector including: managing the power system in real-time, planning for the province's future energy needs, enabling conservation and designing a more efficient electricity marketplace to support sector evolution.
Related Data Products
- Includes 10-minute synchronized, 10-minute non-synchronized, 30-minute non-synchronized reserve price and market clearing price in $/MWh
- Covers Ontario and external control areas including Manitoba, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Quebec
- Updated daily at or before 5:00 PM ET
Until a few decades ago majority of us were employed in real world businesses. Alta Bering came out of a history of production technology and reconciled it with sophisticated algorithmic math, an after-thought in enterprise system functionality.We believe efficiency is key to mitigating scarcity economics. In the early 2000s, we set our sights on helping companies achieve higher efficiency and growth, not just growth.Today we enable advanced prescriptive analytics for data scientists and enterprise cloud platforms. Our goal is to help business analysts step up to corporate responsibility.Contact us for more about how we deliver our predictive analytics consulting to large and medium sized clients.