- Short term commitments (forecast) of price
- Historical Ontario and interconnections hour-ahead price analysis
- Correlation analysis of forecasted pre-dispatch and operating reserve prices
IESO (Ontario) Pre-dispatch Prices
This data product provides market clearing prices (MCP), energy and operating reserves for Ontario and external control areas for each hour of the forecast period.
Ontario has interconnections with Manitoba, Minnesota, Québec, Michigan, and New York. All of Ontario's synchronous interconnections are normally linked with Phase Angle Regulators (PARs), except for the radial interconnections and the New York – Niagara interconnection.
- The Ontario – Manitoba interconnection consists of two 230kV circuits and one 115kV circuit
- The Ontario – Minnesota interconnection consists of one 115kV circuit
- The Ontario – Michigan interconnection consists of two 230/345kV circuits, one 230/115kV circuit, and one 230kV circuit
- The Ontario – New York Niagara interconnection consists of two 230/345kV circuits and two 230kV circuits
- The Ontario –New York St. Lawrence interconnection consists of two 230kV circuits
- The Ontario – Québec North interconnection consists of two radial 115kV circuits (D4Z, H4Z) and is thermally limited
- The Ontario – Québec South interconnection consists of two 230kV circuits in the East zone, five 230kV circuits in the Ottawa zone, and two 115kV circuits in the Ottawa zone. This includes the 230kV interconnection from Hawthorne to the HVDC converters located at the Outaouais station in Québec.
Operating reserve (OR) is stand-by power or demand reduction that can be called on with short notice to deal with an unexpected mismatch between generation and load. Through the administration of operating reserve markets, the IESO ensures that additional supplies of energy are available should an unanticipated event take place in the real-time energy market.
In this data product you will get the three types of operating reserve classes that can be offered by dispatchable generators and dispatchable loads are:
- 10-minute synchronized (spinning) reserve
- 10-minute non-synchronized (non-spinning) reserve
- 30-minute reserve (non-synchronized)
IESO (The Independent Electricity System Operator) works at the heart of Ontario's power system. The IESO delivers key services across the electricity sector including: managing the power system in real-time, planning for the province's future energy needs, enabling conservation and designing a more efficient electricity marketplace to support sector evolution.
Related Data Products
- Includes 10-minute synchronized, 10-minute non-synchronized, 30-minute non-synchronized reserve price and market clearing price in $/MWh
- Updated daily at or before 5:00 PM ET
- Covers Ontario and external control areas including Manitoba, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Quebec
7 Data Columns
Delivery Datetime (delivery_dt)
The date and hour when the market runs and energy is supplied
Peak Hour Specification (on_peak_off_peak_hours)
The on-peak, off-peak flag of the hour
Intertie Zone (zone)
Ontario and its interconnections (intertie zones) with other jurisdictions (or control areas)
Marginal Cost of Energy (price_energy)
The component of LMP at a Pnode that accounts for the marginal real power
10S OR Price (price_10s)
10-minute synchronized (spinning) operating reserve price
10S OR Price (price_10n)
10-minute non-synchronized (non-spinning) operating reserve price
30R Operating Reserve Price (price_30r)
30-minute operating reserve price
Alta Bering is a Data Curation and Business Analytics Company with its roots in management consulting and decision science. Alta Bering is based in British Columbia and also offers a visual business analytics platform called EPO to help solve complex business problems by using popular Machine Learning and statistical methods